Leadership Skills for New Leaders
Learn the Key Skills You Need to Get Successful Leadership Results – Right from the Start
Congratulations! Getting promoted (especially to a leadership role) is exciting . . . and scary. Becoming a leader for the first time is one of the most challenging and critical career transitions you’ll ever face. And with this transition comes challenges and changes — some expected and some unexpected. For example, you need to..
- Establish your new authority without coming off as “bossy”.
- Inspire and motivate employees who are your former colleagues (and maybe even friends!)
- Give difficult and uncomfortable feedback.
- Understand and manage the new expectations that have been put on you in your new role. You now need to get your work done through others.
- Manage high-risk decisions.
- Navigate company politics and handle the inevitable grapevine that you once could choose to participate in or ignore but now must actually manage and even quiet.
We know – The reality is that leadership itself is complex, and when you add all of these additional concerns, it can be overwhelming.
Unfortunately, many new managers have been set up to fail because they were thrown into supervisory positions without any training, guidance or support. In fact, 40% of new managers fail within the first 18 months of being promoted.
You don’t want to be in that category!
It is absolutely essential to develop these skills right from the start when you need them most. Get started the right way and you’ll save time and energy by avoiding the rookie mistakes you’d make otherwise by the trial and error method. And, if you’ve been in the role for a while, you will learn strategies and techniques you can use to fix any mistakes you’ve already made or to improve on what you have learned already from your trial-and-error experience.
Get the skills you need to master your role right from the start.
Based on the best-selling book, From Bud to Boss, the Bud to Boss Workshop will provide you with core principles, techniques and approaches that you can apply to any situation that you’ll face as a new leader.
In just two days, you’ll learn the kinds of things it usually takes managers years to learn and we’ll answer every question you have (and even some you don’t have!), including:
- How do I get a better understanding of my new role/responsibility?
- How do I communicate with new peers that have way more experience than I do?
- How do I gain respect, trust and credibility in my new role?
- How can I resolve conflict between employees?
- What is the best way to communicate about difficult issues?
- How can I manage my time and juggle an ever-changing list of priorities?
- What do I do to help people deal with change, and how do I minimize their resistance to it?
- What’s the best way to delegate effectively?
Bud to Boss goes beyond the nuts and bolts of your job. You already know that stuff, or else you wouldn’t have gotten the promotion. The skills that got you promoted aren’t the ones that will help you to achieve success as a leader.
If you haven’t coached and lead people, dealt with heavy time management issues, built a team, administered company policy or had to deal with upper management directly before, then you need to learn these fundamentals to help you succeed.
Setting the Stage for Leadership Success
- Create a personal definition of leadership
- 13 keys to leadership success
Successfully Navigating the Transition to Leadership
- How to transition to your supervisory/leadership role, “from Bud to Boss”
- The 11 components of the supervisor role
- The control/empowerment balance
- The power of expectations
Communicating Powerfully & Persuasively
- How to effectively communicate with different people
- 7 ways to make your communication more powerful, persuasive and memorable
- 6 ways to listen better at work tomorrow – and every day
- 6 keys to winning presentations
Impactful Coaching and Feedback That Produces Real Results
- Use the Coaching ABC’s
- 3 sources of feedback
- 4 types of feedback
- 10 ways to give better feedback
- 6 ways to make performance reviews less painful and more effective
- 10 ways to be more supportive
- How to use a practical coaching model
Leading and Championing Change (With Less Resistance and More Success)
- The 4 levers of change – what they are and how to use them
- The critical differences between managing, leading and championing change
- Why resistance doesn’t have to be a bad thing
- 3 ways to overcome resistance
- 5 ways to accelerate organizational change
Building, Developing and Leading a High-Performing Team
- How to use the 4 stages of team development
- How to manage conflict on your team
- 3 ways to increase team energy and effectiveness
- 7 keys to better meetings
- The role of a team leader
Setting and Reaching Goals – for Yourself and Others
- 5 keys to a successful goal-setting mindset – and why it is important
- 10 steps to setting achievable goals
- How to engage others in team goal setting
- 5 ways to improve goal achievement success
Answering Your Pressing Questions
- We don’t want you to leave with any other nagging questions unanswered — so here is your chance!
Action Planning – Helping You Apply What You’ve Learned to Set You Up for Success
- You will leave with not just ideas but also a real plan to implement back at work!
Making a Leadership Transition Is Among Life’s Most Difficult Personal Challenges
A study by DDI World and World Business magazine found that nearly one out of every five people rank making a leadership transition as the most challenging life event. And while there’s no doubt that this transition is extremely challenging, there are solutions that can help ease the transition and set you up for success now and in the future.
Because while management skills may not always come naturally, they can—and must—be developed. And that’s what Bud to Boss is all about.
This is more than just another training workshop (we guarantee it).
We understand that one workshop isn’t your single ticket to leadership excellence and we don’t expect you to go back after two days and get it all right, all of the time.
Bottom line – as great as the workshop is, when you return to work, you will have additional questions, and you might encounter a challenge in applying all you learned.
You’re back in the office now and…
…your former co-worker wants to meet for a daily coffee break (like you always used to) … and now you’re her boss.
…a new direct report has way more experience than you and is pushing back on some of your task re-assignment and delegation attempts.
…two employees are constantly bickering and it’s starting to affect their work. As their co-worker, you could ignore it, but now you’re their supervisor…
It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.
That’s why, with Bud to Boss, your registration includes three live, group coaching sessions. These three sessions give you direct and personal access to Steve Johnston – one of our certified Bud to Boss Trainers (he may be the facilitator of your workshop). These are full hour phone sessions you can attend after you return from the workshop that are designed to help you master the strategies and techniques you learn in the workshop. In these phone coaching sessions, you’ll get answers to questions you may have as new challenges arise, additional strategies to help you through a difficult situation, and encouragement to try your new skills
With group coaching, you’ll have access to:
- Answers to your most pressing questions.
- Advice on your stickiest situations.
- Tips for implementing your ideas and plans more successfully.
- An opportunity to share successes.
- Confirmation that what you are planning to try will work.
- Valuable learning opportunities from the questions & challenges of others in the group.
You’ve got a job to do, so you don’t have time to waste on guessing how to handle each new situation that comes your way. Bud to Boss will provide the foundation you need to take on your new position and move forward in your career when you need it most – right from the start!
Don’t risk your career by stumbling along at the start. Get the essential management techniques and strategies you need to succeed.
Register today to become the leader you know you can be!